Research, development and innovation in the field of AI takes place all across the European continent and beyond. However, an integrated overview of these activities – and especially the expertise – is lacking. Therefore, the EC has tasked VISION and several Networks of Excellence (AI4Media, ELISE, HumanE-AI-Net, TAILOR, ELSA and euROBIN) to start mapping the capabilities and competencies in the current AI ecosystem in Europe.
Together with representatives of each NoE, and advised by the EC, we developed a shared taxonomy of research topics and application areas, collected the data and developed a first version of an interactive website.
Now we need to consider how to move forward. While the current mapping resulted in a large amount of data, it is merely a subset of the entire ADR ecosystem. Moreover, other mapping activities (e.g. DIHs mapping, Adra-e) occur so it is advised to come together and reflect on potential synergies.
Objectives of the workshop
- Report on the AI ecosystem mapping, including lessons learned and recommendations
- Discuss the potential ways forward in relation to other activities in the cartography of Adra-e, the AI-on-demand platform and the entire AI-made-Europe ecosystem.
- Develop an action plan, and plan for an Adra topic group
- Introduction to the topic, session and agenda
- A first step: Launching the AI-Robotics ecosystem mapping of the Networks of Excellence (Claudio Lazo, VISION)
- Adra-e: Cartography
- AI-on-demand platform
- Reflection by the European Commission
- Panel discussion: (Networks of Excellence, Adra-e, EC, AIoD):
1. How to represent the R&I activities that happen across Europe?
2. What should the scope of this mapping be? (research, industry, testing and experimentation, technical services, business services, …)?
3. What should the organisation of the map be (e.g. community, ownership, decision-making, funding, development, updates, quality control...)?
- Defining next steps for a collaborative ecosystem mapping
List of the workshop speakers:
- Joachim de Greeff, TNO
- Claudio Lazo, TNO